Wednesday 12 October 2016

Korean Dishes and Mealtimes

My first impression of Korean cuisine was controversial. Before I arrived, I had read from multiple sources that Koreans love barbecue pork. Typically it is served with multiple side dishes of pickled vegetables such as kimchi, reddish and various others. They like serving these all in individual tiny bowls or plates so each dish is like a separate unit and not touching any other food. Luckily these dishes get served with other meals as well and not only barbecues which makes it easier for people not eating meat.
I do have to admit though that Korean cuisine is quite meat centered so pure vegetarians and especially vegans might find it rather difficult (or more to say boring) in this country food wise. Being a pescatarian and loving seafood and fish, I have enjoyed the traditional meals I have had in Korea. On Jeju island, I tried a seafood stew which was basically a seafood soup that consisted of shrimps, oysters, mussels and probably some other seafood that I couldn't recognize. It was really tasty although I have to warn people who do not like eating things that look somewhat alive that this is the kind of dish where you have to crack the head and shells off the shrimps and peel the mussels. It does taste very much after sea as well. 
Seafood Stew from Jeju Island

In Busan I visited the famous Jagalchi fish market which is the biggest one in the country. I ordered a roasted fish which again came with all the side vegetables. The fish itself was sea bass and it was delicious. Not expensive either. As that I was alone, this was pretty much my only option but people in larger groups can have it more interesting because for Koreans mealtime is a social event so they generally cater more for sharing rather than individuals. 
Roasted Sea Bass from Jagalchi Fish Market in Busan

Some fellow backpackers have told me that some restaurants have refused to serve them when trying to eat in alone. I have not yet experienced this, however I can imagine some popular barbecue meat places doing that in popular areas at busy times because it might not be economically viable for them to accept singles while they could give the same table to a group (I think it's just common sense and same thing happens in other countries, just due to the language barrier the rejection might seem somewhat harsher).
Talking about prices, eating out in Korea is reasonably cheap depending on the meal of course. What I miss a lot is a good healthy sandwich for lunch and more fruit and vegetables. 

No comments:

Post a Comment